Monday, November 25, 2013

- B&A: Kitchen -

The kitchen was a sad sad sad HOT MESS when we bought this house! :(  The flickering fluorescent lights were the first thing to go, but the mouse poop in the cabinets was a very soon second.  I was game for keeping the original countertops and faucet and "refinishing" the cabinets by way of some sort of cool Pinterest-y tricks, but Brian had a vision of something drastically different [and when he has those visions I just nod and agree because everything he touches turns to gold!]. Looking back, I think his vision was directed by thinking that giving me a nice kitchen would equal me cooking nice meals... Still debatable? ...But we're working on it.

We moved into the house in May with half of the new cabinets and zero of the new countertops, but I'd say it was worth the wait..... ;) So so so happy with the finished room and so grateful for all the hard work and help our families gave to make it possible! 

Project: Goodbye House, Hello Home!
~ Kitchen ~


~~~~~


Brian: *stressed* Did you move that washrag and those bananas out of the way before you took the picture?!??!
Bridget: No. They're part of the kitchen.....


Paint colors:
  • BEHR - Special custom color that I conned the man at the counter into mixing. None of the 3,000 paint chips did the job. [It looks green but in fact is not; green tint is the result of a faulty cheap been-dropped-too-many-times-in-college camera and/or perhaps just a faulty camera user.]


A few details I love: 
  • Granite countertops.  We had a hard time picking a pattern, but after many trips to the E&B Granite showroom I finally made up my mind. [And you will not be surprised to hear that the granite man talked me into a "lighter" version of slab we almost chose... Dark and twisty decorating. This blog is turning into therapy because I am now realizing the dark attraction is definitely an obsession and therefore a problem.]  The people who lived here before had a dining table and chairs pushed up against the wall, but Brian changed it to a peninsula [same height as the sink side] with cabinets underneath. I blog here, craft here, and cook here! ...Well basically I do everything except sleep here.  So useful!  And we prefer high-top chairs and dangling legs so it's a win-win. FINALLY, to put a cherry on it, the E&B installation men were just as lovable as the counters. 
  • Appliances.  All brand new from Best Buy because there were none in this house to begin with.  We looked around at the scratch-and-dent Sears and a) everything was SUPER scratched or dented [don't know what we were expecting?!] and b) realized it wasn't a whole heck of a lot cheaper than new stuff. To heck with a budget, no? Plus Best Buy gave us a huge discount for buying in "bulk," so whaddya know? ...There's some kind of method to this madness! 
  • Wine rack.  A wedding gift from my friend and bridesmaid Emily!  
  • Lighting.  One of Brian's "brightest" visions...in my opinion at least! ;) I thought he was literally going nuts when there were ten gaping holes in the ceiling [also thought it would be hideously BRIGHT in here if a light was actually going in every single hole...], but now it looks great! The can lights are from Menards and the under-the-cabinet lights are from A&D and the sink light and peninsula hanging light are also from A&D. ...And they're from the same "family" as the living room chandelier, which is awesome considering the kitchen and living room are basically like one room.   
  • Dark cabinets.  ...Because why turn to the light side now?  Of course not. 



Goodbye house, hello home!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.