So!
Time to throw down another birth
Friday, December 29 @ 11:30am -- 38w4d showed face with no regular/painful contractions or threatened labor or signs of Baby F. #2's imminent arrival. [I was not at all surprised by this, even though everyone else thought my uterus would explode any day after ~30 weeks. Sort of unfortunately, I'm not a newbie when it comes to being large and in charge during pregnancy!] Anyway, I had an OB appointment earlier that morning and still hadn't dilated past 1.5cm, so we scheduled an induction for a couple weeks out ...on the actual due date ...juuust in case I was still pregnant...and...
Monday, January 8 @ 6:45am -- 40w0d, stillll pregnant, and Brian and I were wide-eyed and bushy-tailed because Baby F. #2's eviction date had finally arrived!!! Slap my hand for having zero desire to go overdue and let my body "do its thing" completely on its own, but Harper was not a small baby and 40 fulllll long weeks had that fetus PLENTY cooked in both my professional and personal opinions; so let's get this show on the road before my ribs pop or the placenta poops out! Oy vey...
8:13am -- We arrived at the hospital ready to get this birthday party started [after detouring for donuts and coffee for the nurses then muddling ever so slowly through St. Louis rush hour traffic, ugh!].
8:50am -- Nestled into our new home for the day, room 7206. EFM and toco applied, waiting for official induction orders from OB, posing for our last pic in the few hours of calm before the storm...
8:51am -- So much love for the BFF! And sooooo happy to have her there to take care of me and baby! We walked in to a room full of her hand-crafted decorations, complete with signage on the door for other coworkers to vote Team Blue or Team Pink! Thank you, Katie, for all the love and for just being YOU! [Off-topic, but I will never forget the first night shift I worked with you on the old Team 1! I was fresh out of fellowship and you took me under your wing like the sweet thang you are. That night, we were sitting on some Cervidil patients who were knocked out on Ambien - bahaha - and you were making this super cute yarn wreath for your front door and also a Dum Dum bachelorette bouquet for one of your other friends; we talked college shenanigans and boyfriends and everything in between! Ahhhhh, the good ole' days on L&D night shift when we were overstaffed and underpaid and could turn down half the lights and get carried away crafting and chatting all night long! :-* Sometimes I really miss those nights!!! ...ANYWAY, so happy we've been able to stand by each others' sides through all life's ups and downs. Seven years later, you're still one of my top girls, and it means the world that you agreed to take care of us today! I love you long timeee!]
Side note: Katie gets extra bonus points for quickly flipping gears to nurse a pale, lightheaded Brian just minutes after she successfully started my IV! Down to his T-shirt with cold washrag to forehead and ceiling fans spinning full blast; the fun is juuuust beginning! #ohboybrian
Another side note: this whole "scheduled induction" thing was uncharted territory for me [even though I absolutely wanted it]; so naturally, I was a little apprehensive about how things would pan out. With Harper, I was already contracting semi-regularly and dilated to 4 centimeters on admission, so that was a completely different/better situation! The pre-admission plan this time was for foley bulb + Cytotec if my cervix remained unchanged from the 1.5cm exam in the office just a few days before. While I've witnessed this being effective for other mommas, I wouldn't say it's exactly the most FUN of the induction methods... So! Of course I begged Katie to use her nurse magic to stretch my cervix out a little more. But she happily reported that I was already 2.5/70/-2 without her "help" and so...
9:20am -- Pitocin it is!!! Totally thrilled to bypass the foley bulb situation! The Pitocin was infusing and my ruthless nurse continued cranking it up per protocol as fast as she could. No turning back now! All smiles here! We were walking the halls with my IV pole and bumping into great friends left and right. "Inductions are fun," they said!
10:39am -- Ohhhh sh*t, we forgot all about the infamous chalkboards... But busting them out now to highlight .every.single.small.happening. of 'dis special day! [To reiterate: Pitocin started @ 9:20am, water broken by Dr. P @ 10:10am.]Another side note: this whole "scheduled induction" thing was uncharted territory for me [even though I absolutely wanted it]; so naturally, I was a little apprehensive about how things would pan out. With Harper, I was already contracting semi-regularly and dilated to 4 centimeters on admission, so that was a completely different/better situation! The pre-admission plan this time was for foley bulb + Cytotec if my cervix remained unchanged from the 1.5cm exam in the office just a few days before. While I've witnessed this being effective for other mommas, I wouldn't say it's exactly the most FUN of the induction methods... So! Of course I begged Katie to use her nurse magic to stretch my cervix out a little more. But she happily reported that I was already 2.5/70/-2 without her "help" and so...
9:20am -- Pitocin it is!!! Totally thrilled to bypass the foley bulb situation! The Pitocin was infusing and my ruthless nurse continued cranking it up per protocol as fast as she could. No turning back now! All smiles here! We were walking the halls with my IV pole and bumping into great friends left and right. "Inductions are fun," they said!
11:19am -- The texts are flooding in from Grammy and Papa; they report that Harper is getting super excited to officially become a big sister and is all dressed and ready to head "to 'da howse-petal!" And it looks like things may work out at her request, because...
11:25am -- ...holy contractions every 2-3 minutes! Ow. #paining...
11:51am -- ...but not paining bad enough to miss out on some nurse station action with these awesome ladies! ^^ Dunkin' Donuts for our faves!
12:20pm -- I made Katie recheck my cervix; I'm only 4 centimeters but zooomg this sh*t hurts rull bad and this momma needs an epidural STAT! Throw that towel in! No need to be a martyr when I'm already committed to delivering at someeee point today, eh? <-- That's what I'm talkin' about.
12:30pm -- Epidural order: PLACED.
12:47pm -- The CRNA angelically floats into the room with hisangel wings anesthesia cart and...
1:06pm -- ...sweet relief be mine! He threw that epidural in like a pro and was immediately my hero. Thank youuuu thank you thank you, Nick!!! You and your skillz and your drugs are all absolutely amazing! [Brian appreciates you too, because #nightnightwifezilla.]
12:30pm -- Epidural order: PLACED.
12:47pm -- The CRNA angelically floats into the room with his
1:06pm -- ...sweet relief be mine! He threw that epidural in like a pro and was immediately my hero. Thank youuuu thank you thank you, Nick!!! You and your skillz and your drugs are all absolutely amazing! [Brian appreciates you too, because #nightnightwifezilla.]
Dr. P came by shortly after the epidural placement to check on us, and he said he planned to come back in another hour-ish and check baby's head position. [Harper's little noggin' was straight OT for a long long time and had me stuck at 7 centimeters for HOURS, so we wanted to see if that was the case again with this labor...] But until then, I was going to try and get a little rest...
2:00pm -- Nap on the peanut ball who?
...But it didn't last too long, because all the sudden, I couldn't stop shaking and I felt a bowling ball in my butt and...
2:45pm -- ...Katie announces that I'm complete! Woot! Brian went to the cafeteria to get a snack and we quickly text him to, "COME BACK ASAP BC THE BABY IS COMING!" A little dramatic, but we didn't want him lollygagging around the lobby with his food or anything. ;)
2:55pm -- We convinced Dr. P to author a chalkboard and pose for one of our ridiculous pics... [He had no idea what he was getting himself into when he agreed to be my OB provider! Ten bucks says he regrets it 100%!!! Poor poor man.]
Oh but hold the phoneeeeeee, there's just a little problem! I wasn't supposed to labor this quickly; there was a full night shift team ready to take the bull by the horns at 7:00pm and ...what what, complete and feeling pressure at 2:45pm??! Even I was surprised as I was semi-expecting a replica of Harper's chaotic 15-hour labor because #nursecurse #always; but nope, this baby is so much kinder to me and has been since the beginning! I should've known... Dr. P agreed to some "laboring down" action as we shot some texts to Anna and Jamie [who were absolute STAPLES and lifesavers and everything in between for Harper's delivery three years ago, so of course I wanted them to be at this delivery, too!], and being the sparkly gems they both are, they jumped in their cars and floored it to Mercy...
3:12pm -- ...just in the nick of time! So relieved! The gang's allllll here!!!
It's showtime!
***
PART II coming soon... Because legit, my kid needs a boob and besides, what's a birth story without a good cliffhanger, anyway??? :)
Stay tuned fo' more!!
2:00pm -- Nap on the peanut ball who?
...But it didn't last too long, because all the sudden, I couldn't stop shaking and I felt a bowling ball in my butt and...
2:45pm -- ...Katie announces that I'm complete! Woot! Brian went to the cafeteria to get a snack and we quickly text him to, "COME BACK ASAP BC THE BABY IS COMING!" A little dramatic, but we didn't want him lollygagging around the lobby with his food or anything. ;)
2:55pm -- We convinced Dr. P to author a chalkboard and pose for one of our ridiculous pics... [He had no idea what he was getting himself into when he agreed to be my OB provider! Ten bucks says he regrets it 100%!!! Poor poor man.]

Oh but hold the phoneeeeeee, there's just a little problem! I wasn't supposed to labor this quickly; there was a full night shift team ready to take the bull by the horns at 7:00pm and ...what what, complete and feeling pressure at 2:45pm??! Even I was surprised as I was semi-expecting a replica of Harper's chaotic 15-hour labor because #nursecurse #always; but nope, this baby is so much kinder to me and has been since the beginning! I should've known... Dr. P agreed to some "laboring down" action as we shot some texts to Anna and Jamie [who were absolute STAPLES and lifesavers and everything in between for Harper's delivery three years ago, so of course I wanted them to be at this delivery, too!], and being the sparkly gems they both are, they jumped in their cars and floored it to Mercy...
3:12pm -- ...just in the nick of time! So relieved! The gang's allllll here!!!
3:21pm -- We My friends prep the room for delivery and re-retrieve Dr. P... The baby bed is set to go and turned on and warming up... Nurses are casting their final gender votes on the door...
...annnnnd lights! camera! action!It's showtime!
***
PART II coming soon... Because legit, my kid needs a boob and besides, what's a birth story without a good cliffhanger, anyway??? :)
Stay tuned fo' more!!




No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.