Four months, holy schnikeeees!
As much as I say I want Harper to stay little forever, she just keeps getting more and more and MORE fun! She is so much more alert and interactive as each month passes, and I love celebrating each little milestone that she achieves. Everything now goes straight to her mouth, and she isn't picky about what she chews on: teething toys, non-teething toys, cell phones, burp cloths, pacifiers, her clothes, our hands, EVERYTHING! If she gets a good gnaw session goin', it doesn't take long for her shirt to be soaked with drool... [Maybe time to invest in some bibs? I don't know, though, for some reason I'm just not a bib lover?] The 4-month well child visit was last week, and she measured 24.25 inches [50-75th percentile] and weighed 15 lb, 6.5 oz [90th percentile!]. Her pediatrician said she's perfectly proportioned, but I ain't no dummy ---> don't those percentiles basically scream that she's short and fat?! ...Not like I think she needs to lose any weight, but maybeee she just needs to tack on a few inches to grow into her Buddha belly and thunder thighs... ;) [Brian's mom told me that he was 12 lb, 7 oz and 25.25 inches at 4 months. Baby's already got 3 lb on her old man!] At the beginning of the appointment, Harper was happily nuzzled in to Brian's lap in the exam room. And as soon as the pediatrician came in and plucked her away, she looked back [bugged eyed!] like, "WTF yo!" The ped immediately said, "Oh, guys! I think she's starting to get some stranger anxiety... See how she looks at me with those eyes like she doesn't know who I am and she's searching the room for one of you two? Stranger anxiety can appear anywhere from 4-9 months and is normal." ...Ok, so "stranger anxiety" may be normal at 4 months, but I just nodded my head and decided not to tell her that [for a while now!] Harper hasn't really enjoyed being held by anyone except Brian or me. She lovesss to snuggle her momma after she breastfeeds + she'll nuzzle into Brian for some tummy time or a nap, but all other family and friends just don't make the cut. Cold truth. Ouch. Harper be like, "I'll look at ya'll from afar, but don't try touching me...!" It's strange. I hope she grows out of that...
ANYWAY, other news from the appointment that no one cares about except me me me?
--- No solid foods until 6 months. Exclusively breastfed babies apparently don't need it yet, and it interferes with their intestines and absorption or something [made sense when she was explaining it, although if I try now I will just be talking in circles and probably making up half of the info!].
--- Normal/ok/no big deal for Harper to want to nap in her swing since she sleeps all night in her big girl crib. Phew!
--- Big growth spurt expected at 4 months, during which Harper may want to nurse every 1.5 hours all day every day............ [Currently trying to make a long list of activities I can do while recliner-ridden during the daylight hours, but the only thing I've thought of so far is: watch moreeee TV...]. Ped said a lot of people give up breastfeeding during this time because it gets frustrating and it feels like the baby is constantly eating and not satisfied. But stay strong! Don't get discouraged! Try not to give up! [Cheerleading central.] Because.......exclusively breastfed babies have a less chance of heart disease, diabetes, and obesity in adulthood...PLUS they're smarter. Sweet. [Wondering how genetic and environmental factors are controlled in those studies, though? Who cares I guess...I'll take those stats!]
Two mean ole' shots, and we were out the door and in the clear 'til 6 months!
We love you, little peanut!!! Proud every day to be yo' mama!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.