Heigh-ho, heigh-ho, it's onnnnn to postpartum we go!
[You can find Juliette's Birth Story PART I and PART II here first!]
After Juliette's labor and delivery events went by in the blink of an eye [like literally a blink; it was wayyyy way way too fast! Am I the only person in the history of humankind that wishes my labor would've lingered on a little longer?! PROBABLY.], my 2-hour recovery was over and it was time for Lori to load us up and wheel us over to postpartum! With COVID-19 still surging, the visitor policy at the hospital remained just as strict as it was back in March 2020! I was allowed to have one support person with me at all times [AKA Brian] and then a second visitor that may switch in and out between 7am-7pm. Absolutely no kids under age 16 were allowed inside the hospital -- including BRAND NEW [very healthy] SIBLINGS -- which is the worst rule in the history of bad rules and of course totally broke my heart! From the moment I found out I was pregnant in January, I hoped and prayed that the policy would loosen before I delivered...but nope, nope, nope. I saw some TikTok video a few months back of a dad wheeling a brand new big sister inside the hospital in a zipped-up suitcase to meet their new baby, and I'd be lying if I didn't try to play through making that work for us, too! Some of Harper's favorite memories of Baby Scarlett are meeting her moments after she was born and holding her on the couch in my postpartum room for the next few days before we all got discharged together as a family, and I sooooo wanted those experiences and memories for both of the older girls this time! But! COVID calls the shots these days and life is life and rules are rules. I digress.
As it turned out, postpartum was actually a rare sort of "vacation" for Juliette and me, which I suppose is not something I should complain about! Unlike our postpartum experience with Harper, being void of [most] visitors wasn't such a bad deal after all. [And to keep away all the unnecessary and most annoying door-knockers -- AKA Bella Baby photographers, "fancy birth certificate" makers/volunteers, and finance personnel who come in and request that you pay your delivery bill in full and/or get started on a payment plan before it's even been a full 24 hours OR you've even seen the bill printed on paper zomg -- I requested that my nurse put a sign on the door that read, "DO NOT DISTURB: Call RN before entering," and low and behold, it worked! Perhaps the only people the sign accidentally warded off was a pharmacy tech who was trying to deliver some ointment for my poor, raw breastfeeding nipples annnnd the chaplain who typically brings communion to Catholic patients, whoops.] But long story short, our [mostly] uninterrupted time on postpartum was chill and full of skin-to-skin snuggles!
We sent Juliette off to the nursery a time or two each night, and my nurse would bring her back every 3 hours to nurse again. By the time I fed her and changed her and sent her back, there was only a little window of time left for shut-eye...but why sleep anyway when I could stare at this beautiful face?! 4am never ever looked so good. :)
Brian stayed the first night at the hospital with us and then left around lunchtime the second day to shower at home and pick up Harper from school and Scarlett from Grandma Ann's. I know it was good for him to be home with them that night and bring a little normalcy [and sleep!] back into their routines. Between staying with grandmas for the prior two nights and being excited/nervous/anxious about the news of the new baby that mom and dad were suddenly M.I.A. with, I'm sure they were so happy to have him home! ...And Juliette and me?! Well, we didn't mind the peace and quiet, either! ...In fact, WE LOVED IT! :) 
Somewhere in the mix of our stay, we got to spend a little time with Dr. Phillips, Grammy Resa, and Nurse Anna! Three of my favorite humans right there! Thank you ladies for always loving us so well! <3
By the time two nights had passed and the sun rose again, Juliette was over here like #MOOD... 
...and I couldn't have agreed more! Time to pack up and bust out?! I'd say so! Brian returned to the hospital late morning on Thursday after dropping Harper and Scarlett off at school...
...just in time to snap a few photos of Juliette, order a lunch tray, deliver a stack of thank you cards/gift cards to all our nurses, see the lactation consultant [FINALLY!], pack our bags, and get. the. boot!
Hasta la vista, babyyyyyy...we're outta here and on our way to pick up two very excited big sisters from school!!! :D





No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.