Friday, September 11, 2020

- Never Forget -

Today is the 19th anniversary of the September 11 terrorist attacks.


Today, the STB kids got to forgo their uniforms to wear red, white and blue to school. We told Harper at breakfast about 9/11 and shared a video clip of that day. She watched wide-eyed and asked if people died, and it broke my heart to answer her innocent questions. It’s odd to think that 9/11 was so long before her time and she will only learn about it in history books or from us and others who lived through it. 

 

Today, I’m recounting where I was and how I reacted to the initial shock.  I heard the news during 7th grade Panther Pride homeroom, and I will never forget the emotions of that day or look on my parents' faces when they picked me up that day.  They were glued to the tiny TV in our kitchen watching every bit of news they could for days and weeks to come.


Today, I’m hugging my babies a little tighter and thinking about all the mommies and daddies that didn’t get to go home 19 years ago tonight.
 
 
Today, I’m recalling the days that we were better as Americans because we stood United. Our differences didn’t divide us; we were one.
 
 
Today, I’m believing that we are stronger as humans when we radiate kindness and mercy and love, because that’s what we did in the days following 9/11 as we so strongly lifted up one another.
 
 
Today and always, I’m remembering the men and women who lost their lives, the many who served our country at its darkest, and all of those who carry on the American spirit.
 
 
I will never forget.
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.