Tuesday, August 7, 2018

- I don't cry over spilled milk... -

...unless it's breast milk, in which case I cry A LOT!

Last night, Harper was swinging around a freshly pumped bottle and "accidentally" popped the nipple off and spilled FOUR FULL PRECIOUS OUNCES all over the kitchen table and floor and I literally had to take a 5-second deep breath in and walk away before I scream-cried and totally lost my $#*% right in front of her!!! Oh. My. Lawwwwwwwwd. Run-on sentence deluxe, but EFF WORDY EFF EFF.

...But worry not, I eventually swept it under the rug/down the drain and all was swell in our abode a few minutes later. 

And that ^^ was a just a dramatic preface to this:

Rumor has it that this is World Breastfeeding Week [of course I just realized today is the last day of #WBW, but I'm usually almost always late to the game so no big surprise there] and so! Let me just toot the horn and jump on the bandwagon by taking a hot second to celebrate my kids' literal life-saving devices -- AKA my boobies!

(  o  )(  o  )

Breastfeeding is a big priority in this house for a multitude of reasons, and so this #WBW is the perfect chance to get few things off/out of my chest [pun intended?]. While I wholeheartedly agree with the new motto that "fed is best" and it's great that mamas have the liberty to choose what's best for them/their families, I'm alsoooo a huge breastfeeding advocate and get my feathers ruffled a wee bit when I'm on the receiving end of petty remarks such as, "You're stilllllll breastfeeding her?" and, "You're so lucky you are able to nurse her!" and, "I wish it was easy for me like it is for you..." Because hold the phone: in my experience[s], it has never been easy!!! I used a nipple shield .every.single.time. I fed Harper for a full year.  And Scarlett was a beast of her own....... ...Lettttt's just say I'm not a newbie when it comes to a) seeking expert lactation help to correct a bad latch and b) pampering a set of sore/cracked/BLEEDING nipples haaaaaa. :/  Throw in healing up a few clogged ducts...finding time to pump every few hours at work...keeping up with a decent diet/fluid intake + choking down lactation supplements and "cookies" all to sustain an adequate milk supply.......and this breastfeeding dealio becomes a full time job in and of itself! I definitely wouldn't say it's all fun and games, but! In the face of ALL of that ^^, I still immediately say yes to breastfeeding [and would say yes a million times again!] because my struggles/sacrifices so clearly become the girls' gain/benefit. I also adore the bonding time with my sweet babies and truly believe I gave/am giving them the very best!

So yes, although there's absolutely been trials and tribulations and tears along the way, I just wanted to throw it out there that exclusive breastfeeding doesn't necessarily come easy to every new mom out there, but I'm still proud of my decision to push through when it's not as easy or glamorous as it sounds. Breastfeeding is undoubtedly the hardest job I've ever loved, and I already know I'll miss those middle-of-the-night feeding sessions and all that sweet bonding time with Scarlett when she's done [just like I did when Harper weaned!].

Blah blah blahhhh...the moral of my story? Just this: breastfeeding is HARD WORK, so big props to all the women who can and do! Please, let's use this week [and every week!] to encourage and support breastfeeding mamas who are giving it their all! Whether you stick out for a day or a week or a year, I commend you and am cheering for you and celebrating you!!!  

Gotta run......it's snack time! ;) :) 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.