Thursday, October 31, 2013

- Halloween: the Grown-up Way -

Reminiscing on the "Halloween in college" days is cool and chill and...ok, awesome and totally nostalgic.

I miss it a lot!

Although Halloween the "grown-up way" isn't all that bad.

But let's start at the beginning.

[1989-2007] -- My parents live in the middle of a corn field, so we usually only had ummm...anywhere from 2-10 customers/costumers per YEAR.  My mom handed out full-sized candy bars and homemade popcorn balls. And if she knew who the kids were, there were even more surprise treats waiting.  We could see the headlights coming up the 1/2 mile lane and would all be clustered around the door waiting by the time they got to the front door.  It's exciting growing up in a cornfield, I tell ya!  So for 18 years, I thought that's what Halloween was all about...

Then I went off to college and found out there was much more to be discovered. But we will not discuss that here on this nice family-oriented post. ;)  

And after four years of the most kick@$$ Halloweens ever ever ever, I moved to a third story apartment full of white hairs who were settled into bed by 8pm. AKA - no trick-or-treaters and no kids even in eyeshot. Whatever, though.

But NOW, in our first year of wonderful wedded bliss, we live in one of the youngest/hip-est/busiest subdivisions in Edwardsville.....

Holy schmoly, we got blown away with trick-or-treaters last night!!! 


TIMELINE:

-- 8:30am -- I get home from work crawl in bed for the day.  Zzzzzzzzzz x 8hours.

-- 4:30pm -- I wake up. And look online at the city website for ToT-ing hours. 4-9pm. [WHAT??? When I was a kid ToT-ing hours didn't start until like 9pm!!! #badassesofthe1990s] Quick mental note made that the porch light will not come on until at LEAST 7pm, because everything gets hotter when the sun goes down around here! ;)

-- 6:15pm -- Brian comes home from work and tells me I'm a "fun-sucker" because we're the only house in the neighborhood without our light on.........

-- 6:28pm -- ...so the porch light goes on...

-- 6:29pm -- ...and we are mobbed with one massive clump of at least 30+ dragons and princesses and Elmos and other masked unknown questionable things. 



Convos that crack me up:


Brian: Wait, did you just post on FB that there are ToT-ing hours tomorrow night, too???
Bridget:  YES, so stop giving every minion like 5 pieces!!!


*kid knocking on glass door*
Bridget: Awww, that Superman is so cute! Can I take your picture with him?!
Brian:  No, that is creepy! He is like 3 years old and his dad is right there!!!
Bridget: ...Oh.


With our TV in eyeshot of the door...
Pirate: Who's winning?!
Brian:  The game just started, it's 0-0!
Goblin: What game?

^^Really??? What kind of 10 year-old boy are you? Maybe next year you should be a princess.


Oh, and on that note...can we just talk about the Cardinals?! ...No, we can't. Too soon. Maybe tomorrow.

Anyway, we had fun with our first Halloween in the 'burbs...but I am sooo downing a bottle of wine tonight before we turn the light on. It will be way better, right!?  

Note taken for the 2014 season: I cannot buy the candy more than a week early... Only Milk Duds and Whoppers were left to hand out because I've been downing all the good candy for the last 3 weeks! nom nom nom

Cheers to Halloween! Hope yours is spooktacular! ;)




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.