Thursday, April 18, 2019

- Notre Dame circa 2008 -

Way back when I was studying abroad in the fall of 2008 and standing inside the Notre Dame Cathedral, I really had no idea what these memories would mean to me during this Holy Week in 2019!  I feel blessed to have visited one of the most beautiful places in the world and will hold tight to these photos forever.
 
Included in these photos is the statue of Joan of Arc, my confirmation saint.  She was accused of being a heretic and a witch and was burned at the stake when she was only 19 years old [the same age I was when I visited here].  Several years later, she was exonerated; several centuries later, she was canonized a saint here inside the walls of Notre Dame. Saint Joan of Arc, pray for us!
Also pictured is the relic venerated as the Crown of Thorns.  It is only presented to visitors during the first Friday of the month and every Friday during Lent.  13+ million people visit Notre Dame each year to view the relic. 
My heart hurt to see the footage of this beautiful building ablaze.  Sending prayers and love to the people of Paris and Catholics all around the world!
As the news reports that many parts were saved, including the cross at the altar and all of the relics,  I'm holding onto the hope that Notre Dame will be rebuilt and, in time, will shine again!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.