Saturday, October 3, 2015

- A [not]Short Saga of Sickness -

^^ Yes.  That.

And I'm damn thrilled to be pale again...

...because last weekend? 

GREEN.

Ohhhhh dear Lawdy, I'm currently cartwheeling in circles and dancing in ecstatic-ness that we all three made it to this weekend alive.  If hell is worse than what we've been through for the past week.............I just.....I can't even.

Recapping in one [short] paragraph, because I'm well aware that few people enjoy dwelling on the bad and ugly AND even fewer people tolerate graphic discussions of projectile vomiting slash other expulsions of unnamed bodily fluids.  SO!  Last Friday afternoon [an amazing, great-weathered, sunshiny, feel-good day!] we packed up our family of three and headed down to my parents'. We had a full weekend planned: my cousin's performance at a local bar [he just released his new CD!], golf tournament for the men, Apple Butter festival, lunch with my grandma, a friend's 30th birthday party, a cookout/"new grill christening" BBQ at Brian's parents', etc., etc., etc....  Err'yone felt great............until Saturday morning when I woke up half the household with violent vomiting.  Maybe it was something I ate; maybe it will just be once.  NOPE.  Every 50-60 minutes like clockwork x 24 hours.  Was totally wishing someone would've dug my grave and kicked me right on in.  Misery to the max max max.  Thennnn 12 hours later, same thing for Brian... And within the next 48 hours, same thing for my brother...aunt and uncle...another aunt...grandma...and mom... WHAT!  What is this wicked disease, and how does it spread so so so fast?!  

Very very VERY luckily, my parents took Harper right under their wing and cared for her all weekend on TOP of going about their already scheduled plans AND routinely bringing Brian and I a freshly filled tray of Gatorade + ice chips + Tylenol + my breast pump [by the way: pumping while a) shivering from a fever and b) puking in a pan next to the pump and c) barely even having any water left inside my body to MAKE the milk = a new, AWFUL experience that I would never even wish on a death row inmate. Horrid!].  Anyway, so thankful that my mom and dad were there to care for our little offspring while B and I laid in bed together all weekend exchanging our icky fevers and puke breath.  Hashtag: marriage.   ...In sickness and in health...  Seriously, so glam.

...Recapping in one [short] paragraph...  *thunderous laughing* ...I'm sure you're well aware by this point in our relationship that short-windedness is not my strong suit.  Oh well.

We were thrilled for Harper to escape her parents' disease and and walk away from the weekend unscathed!  

But then...

...Wednesday morning! 4:40 in the am! Brian is in Pennsylvania on a work trip and I've been laying awake in bed all night listening to my kid cough up a lung in her crib.  But the coughing at 4:40 consists of much more extensive hacking/gagging, so I run in and pick her up from her crib and:  hello white, frothy vomit .all.over.my.person.  And now she has a fever, too...AKA can't go to daycare, nor would I want to send her there when she feels like death and just needs extra snuggles.  Holding back tears, I called my parents' house:

Dad:  Hello??? 
Bridget:  Hi.
Dad: 
Bridget: 
Dad: 
Bridget:  Harper's sick wahhhhh.  *meltdown begins, complete with toddler-like wailing*  And I don't want her to go to daycare and she's scared because she's never thrown up before and she can't breathe because her nose is stuffy and I can't call in to work today because I already called in Monday because I was puking and I don't know what to do because Brian is halfway across the country and Harper is sick and my life is falling apart and wahhhh wahhhhhhhhhhhhhh what should I dooooooo?  *tear tear sniff sniff* 

Welp, within thirty minutes, my mom was packed up and on the road and *sigh*...Grandma to the rescue.  THANK GOD FOR GRANDPARENTS.  Harper wasn't spoiled all day or anything:  

Although, I officially win "worst mom EVER" award.
Harper wins "most-understanding/unconditionally-loving baby" award.
My mom wins "best grandma" award.  Just when my life's falling apart, she's always there to piece it back together...

So! 

Now it's Saturday again..... An entire week has passed since the beginning of that "[short] paragraph recap" up thurrr, and we're not only surviving BUT!  [Dare I say it?]  We're also thriving!  With an ever-joyful heart and a sweet smile on her face, Harper has survived: one day of dual-parent neglect, two days of around-the-clock Tylenol doses [poor poor child and her 103+ middle-of-the-night fevers!!!!! Horribleness!], three sessions of projectile vomits, four days of ruthless coughing and sneezing and snorting and gagging, five outfit changes in one day because six diapers full of non-containable watery diarrhea, and well, I don't know what the hell seven eight nine ten and beyond is.....BUT.....we're all turning the corner and seemingly on the mend.....so... 
...that right there's the end of the story. 

Funny how that one "[short] paragraph recap" turned into the whole damn post, isn't it? 

#sagaofsickness ...Never again, I vow.

We're decorating our house for fall today and having our priest over for dinner tonight [not forcing him to come over and inhale the breath of death; this date has been on the books for months and he didn't want to reschedule!], so here's to hoping that he brings this household an extra little blessing of health and happiness! Oh, and good company and conversation too. ;) 

xoxo!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.